Sunday, June 13, 2010

God's resume

Living in this town it sometimes feels like life revolves around a constant stream of resumes.  Whether it's scanning for potential hires in your office, passing a friend's along for consideration, or getting barraged via email by various network acquaintances ("just in case you hear of an opening"), or busy distributing your own, we've all seen our fair share.

What does a resume tell you?  Past performance, specific tasks and responsibilities, and in my humble opinion, a good resume shows results.  Like doubling a client base in 2 years, or increasing sales by 5%, or successfully managing a campaign to victory.  Verifiable facts, best backed up by references; you get the idea.

So it just hit me funny tonight when, whilst talking about our experiences with God's faithfulness, my dear roomie actually used the term "God's resume".  Hmm.

Doesn't it make sense though?  And how often I do go looking back over his resume to reaffirm my faith!  Just think about it:  most of us have points in our life to which we can point and say undoubtedly, "That was the Lord."  Some times are more obvious than others, but get enough years under your belt and you'll be amazed at what you'll find.  Like intervening in a might way in major life decisions, providing a job or unexpected income or furniture, or delivering me with only so much as a scratch from a car I rolled six times.  And time and again I find him answering specific prayers, whether it takes a day or a month or a year.  I like to keep a journal and flip back through to glean encouragement from all the ways things I once dealt with were resolved.  Perhaps I will type out God's resume for my life and post it to have an even more visual reminder of his faithfulness. 

1 comment:

  1. the lady who discipled me in college had me make a timeline of my life with all the major milestones and told me to keep it and look at it when i needed to be reminded of God's faithfulness because there he was and is and always will be

    ReplyDelete