Monday, June 14, 2010

Rediscovering the Crockpot

Watch out!  I've just rediscovered my crockpot (and my chili pepper apron!) and I'm getting down and dirty in the kitchen. 

I've missed my slow cooker.  Once upon a time I put it to good use at least twice a week making roasts or stews or various beef and chicken concoctions.  Tonight I finally faced the pheasant in the freezer and decided the crockpot was the only way to go. 

I've actually learned quite a few kitchen lessons today: 

1) Pheasant is supposed to be that bloody-scary dark shade of reddish-purple.  And I thought all poultry was white meat...

2)  It is ok to use an onion that has been sitting out for over a month.  Limes are a different story.

3) Two clueless kitchen-ettes can conquer something domestic, even if it is just reassembly of the blender (thanks Lacelove!)

4) You can plug the coffeepot in,  fill it up with grounds and pour in the water, but you still have to turn it on

5) Recipe for a fantastic evening:

1 bottle red wine (the cheaper the better)
2 sassy Southern women (add to suit to taste)
1 bag tortilla chips
1 container salsa

Combine ingredients in urban kitchen and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat when beginning to boil (be careful when inserting men and mothers into the mix!). Stir well, and allow to cool.  Serve in heels and pearls.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment